How to Submit a Website to Google and Other Search Engines
Back in the 90s, Internet users could not find the necessary information using search engines. One of the greatest discoveries in the Internet world was the ability to find answers to almost any question through a search. But Google or Yahoo was not the first to introduce this feature. In 1990, the first search engine to be invented was Archie. It allowed its users to find and upload certain files on the Internet by indexing files stored on public FTP servers. Archie was soon followed by a new search engine, named Veronica, which focused on simple text files.
As the Internet expanded, search engines and web directory technologies did as well, creating competitive platforms for powerful new technologies. The main search engines that we know today appeared between 1993 and 1998.
How Do Search Engines Work?
If you want a site to have traffic, you must first make it visible. Indexing on Google and other search engines is one of the most effective ways to get traffic, which will ensure a constant flow of customers.
Search engines have three main functions:
- Web crawling
Web crawling is an analysis of web pages on the Internet. The search engine crawls the code and content of each URL that is found. Search engines send web crawlers, also known as bots or spiders, to view the contents of the website. They pay close attention to new websites and existing content that has recently been modified. Crawlers access data such as URLs, sitemaps, and code to determine the type of content displayed.
After crawling a website, search engines must decide how to organize the information.
What Is Indexing?
The indexing process is when search engines check the website data for positive or negative ranking signals and store them in the right place on their servers.
The crawler collects and processes all the data from pages and sites, notes new documents and changes, which are then added to the Google search index. These pages are only added if they contain quality content and do not raise any suspicion. It analyzes the title tags, content on the page, keywords, the credibility of the resource, and all the indicators and data that may be on the pages of your site.
Data Stored in Index:
- Domain data: age, authority, technical features;
- Details of the nature of the content and relevance of each web page:
- the structure of content on the page
- tags and meta tags of the page
- the occurrence of keywords, their density, and relevance
- Sitemap.xml – file in the root directory in which all the pages of the site are located (excluding technical ones). It is also an important tool in adding the site to the search engine index
- Robots.txt. This is the first file that GoogleBot accesses when working with a web page. Robots.txt contains the directives for proper scanning.
- All links on the page and their parameters:
- internal links and their anchor
- External links: anchor and attributes (follow. Nofollow. UGC. Sponsored etc).
The information collected as a result of this analysis is given to the Google algorithm for a new assessment of the data.
The ranking is the result that we ultimately see when we search the Internet. This is the order in which indexed results are displayed on the results page (SERP). After crawling a website, search engines must decide how to organize the information. The indexing process is a search engine checking the website data for positive or negative ranking signals and storing them in the correct place on their servers.
How to Submit Your Website to Search Engines
It all depends on the search engine, but the methods are very similar. Google (the undisputed leader), Bing, and Yahoo are the most popular search engines; therefore, we will analyze them in greater detail.
How to Submit the URL to Google, Yahoo, Bing and Why You need to do this
If your site is new or does not have many backlinks, the frequency of its visits by search engines will not be very high. Submitting a site to search engines manually will speed up the process and allow you to index your resource faster. This is better than sitting back and waiting for them to find you.
It’s also important to understand that it may take several days, and sometimes months, to index new Google content. Even so, the process depends on many factors, including the age of the domain, the subject, and the competition of your site.
Do You Want to Check if a Specific Site is Listed on Google?
Enter the following command in the search bar:
“domain.com” is the address of the home page of your site or the page you want to check.
If the search yields no results, it means that your site is not yet indexed and doesn’t appear in a Google search:
According to Google, “computer programs determine which sites to crawl, how often and how many pages to select from each site.” Of course, sites with high-quality and unique content will be crawled more often.
How to Add a Website to Google. What Should be Done First?
1. Setting up the Google Search Console on the website.
Before submitting a site to Google, you need to configure the Search Console and verify your ownership of the site. Detailed instructions are described here.
2. Forwarding the site map
Sitemap.xml is an XML file containing all the site’s URLs intended for the user and the addresses that you want to see in the Google results. This file also helps crawlers find all the URLs of your site. How do you connect the site to the Google search console? Videoguide:
What Else Can be Done to Speed-up the Process of Indexing in Google?
Create a blog and post regularly. blog websites receive an average of 434% more indexed pages. This is an easy way to increase the credibility of the site and, as a result, index the pages faster.
- Link to the page from old already ranked pages. A link to a page from all the popular articles related to it once again signals Google that the page is valuable.
- Create an RSS feed. After it is created, it should be updated automatically. This is another easy way to tell search engines that there are updates on your site that require attention.
- Share content on industry forums or communities.
- Encourage links to your site from other websites. If Google already knows these sites, it will monitor them and evaluate your site accordingly. These links should be from quality sites that are related to your topic.
- Organize your content so that each page answers one of your readers’ questions. They should be able to find answers to their questions just by looking at the names of the tabs.
- Show that your site is developing by regularly updating it. This is one of the hallmarks of a valuable site.
- Install Google Analytics if you haven’t done so yet.
- Share your content on social networks.
Reasons for the Slow Crawling Process
The technical reasons Google crawls the site slowly can be divided into three groups: the site is too slow, there are too many errors, or too many URLs.
Your website will be crawled faster with the help of proper site optimization, regular testing, and checking pages for errors.A sitemap can also be an easy way to submit a site to search engines. Adding an XML sitemap to a web page will help to crawl the site faster.
If all these elements still do not improve the site’s crawl speed, you can consider creating links. This will cause Google to crawl the content much faster.
How to Add Your Site to Bing, Yahoo, and Other Search Engines
In addition to the methods that have been described for Google, Bing and Yahoo have their webmasters who work on the same principle. Yahoo operates based on the Bing index, so by submitting a site to Bing, your site will automatically be submitted to Yahoo as well.
How to Submit a URL to Bing
- Go to: https://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster
- Log in, then add the URL of the website’s home page
- Verify that you own the site
- Download the sitemap or add individual pages using the URL submission tool
How to Submit a URL to Yahoo
- Go to: http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html
- Click “Submit your site for free.”
- You will be redirected to Bing. Follow the on-screen instructions to submit the URL.
Remember, there is no guarantee that your pages will be indexed immediately. Manual submission should speed up the search for new content in search engines and give you the ability to quickly index a URL in Yahoo or Bing.
You can submit URLs to AOL and MSN in the same way, by adding the URL to Bing.